Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 29/05/2007 :  18:15:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think that any accolade that someone creates has a point, because it clearly has a motivation for that person, who is a F.W.F.R.er as much as anyone else. Accolade creation is not the provision of a service. Accolades that people are not interested in do not cause other accolades to get deleted, so they are of no disadvantage to those people (except in the very small number of films where one has to go to the great trouble of clicking one arrow in order to see the full list).
Go to Top of Page

randall 
"I like to watch."

NYC, USA

Posted - 30/05/2007 :  12:33:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Josh: two one to go!
Babe: one to go!

Edited by - randall on 07/06/2007 02:13:06
Go to Top of Page

BaftaBaby 
"Always entranced by cinema."

Posted - 30/05/2007 :  13:18:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Randall

Josh: two to go.

I'm rooting for ya, Randall!

Of course, my oldest "one to go" has been pending since October 2006. So I hope you're not complaining, because I'm trying hard to be patient. Beep-beep!

Go to Top of Page

randall 
"I like to watch."

NYC, USA

Posted - 30/05/2007 :  22:43:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BaftaBabe

quote:

Josh: two to go.

I'm rooting for ya, Randall!

Of course, my oldest "one to go" has been pending since October 2006. So I hope you're not complaining, because I'm trying hard to be patient. Beep-beep!

Not complaining: bragging. At the top of my accolade to-do list is "Sibling Amity: Not For The Fainthearted! (1345/1346)"

And today I decided that waiting for the re-submit to make its way through the MERP gauntlet is just too tough, so I squandered one of my 20 newbies this week on another try. Stay tuned -- and when I finally hoist this trophy, however briefly, I expect universal huzzahs!

Edited by - randall on 30/05/2007 22:49:51
Go to Top of Page

Downtown 
"Welcome back, Billy Buck"

The Hub of the Universe

Posted - 05/06/2007 :  21:57:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Salopian

I think that any accolade that someone creates has a point, because it clearly has a motivation for that person, who is a F.W.F.R.er as much as anyone else. Accolade creation is not the provision of a service. Accolades that people are not interested in do not cause other accolades to get deleted, so they are of no disadvantage to those people (except in the very small number of films where one has to go to the great trouble of clicking one arrow in order to see the full list).

Yes, but if that motivation is, "I'm going to create an accolade where the films have nothing in common except some word I just arbitarily chose, resulting in a massive 1000+ film accolade that's automatically adding new films to itself every day, just so all the other users of this website will forever have an unfinished accolade sitting there mocking them," I don't think that's very legitimate.

You say creating accolade isn't providing a service...then, what is it? When I create an accolade, it's because I want other people to complete it. I'm actually very disappointed that so few people have completed my accolades. But these "mega-accolades" seem to be created for the opposite reason: because someone DOESN'T want it completed.

This is not a static website. We're all "using" the website. What's the point of features that can't be used? If nobody wants to use a feature or complete an accolade, why is it here? I like a challenge, but what's fun about a challenge that I know isn't attainable, or would require me to focus on that one challenge for so long that I couldn't do anything else?

I guess the bush I'm beating around here is that I think these mega-accolades are a little obnoxious. They're not created for fun...or at least, not anybody's fun except the one creating it. And what's fun about it for them? The fact that it's NOT fun for anybody else. That doesn't seem to be in the spirit of FWFR.
Go to Top of Page

thefoxboy 
"Four your eyes only."

Eastern Suburbs, Melbourne, Australia

Posted - 05/06/2007 :  23:44:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would like to be able to turn off the accolades to do list.
Go to Top of Page

randall 
"I like to watch."

NYC, USA

Posted - 06/06/2007 :  00:29:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love it, Town. With respect, some accolades are constructed in sneering hope that they will NEVER be completed. But I, to coin a phrase, continue to Sally forth, and ever shall!

P.S.: I once spent months trying to "Take a ride with" you, and was very happy when I finally made it. But each film was hand-picked by you. Much more meaningful.

Edited by - randall on 06/06/2007 00:32:03
Go to Top of Page

Downtown 
"Welcome back, Billy Buck"

The Hub of the Universe

Posted - 06/06/2007 :  13:45:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Randall.

In the end, if someone really wants to create mega-accolades (megaccolades?), I guess that's their right, I just don't think the joke is very funny. But maybe if they're nearly impossible to complete, they should at least be a challenge to create...so I still think the automatic accolade update engines should get the heave-ho. If someone's willing to manually add a 1000 films to an accolade, at least they've put some effort into it, right?
Go to Top of Page

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 06/06/2007 :  14:08:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Downtown

Yes, but if that motivation is, "I'm going to create an accolade where the films have nothing in common except some word I just arbitarily chose, resulting in a massive 1000+ film accolade that's automatically adding new films to itself every day, just so all the other users of this website will forever have an unfinished accolade sitting there mocking them," I don't think that's very legitimate.

If people choose a word, then it is very unlikely to actually be arbitrary. It is also completely ridiculous to consider an unfinished accolade as mocking one.
quote:
You say creating accolade isn't providing a service...then, what is it? When I create an accolade, it's because I want other people to complete it.

Good for you. That does not mean that that is everyone's motivation. The accolades I have created I have done so for me. I am perfectly content for people to attain them or not, and I never pay the slightest attention to whether anyone has done so unless it comes up in the Fourum or a personal message. I am interested in people being interested in the subject matter (e.g. thefoxboy and Nepal or ChocolateLady and the Brontes), but I am equally interested whether they choose to pursue the accolade or not.
quote:
If nobody wants to use a feature or complete an accolade, why is it here?

As I've said before (repeatedly) - because it demarcates a set of films. If you personally happen to be disinterested in a certain categorisation, that doesn't make any difference.
quote:
They're not created for fun...or at least, not anybody's fun except the one creating it. And what's fun about it for them? The fact that it's NOT fun for anybody else.

Do not be so ridiculous: an accolade creator being interested in it + no one else being interested does not in the slightest equate to the latter's disinterest being the source of the former's interest. You don't seem able to distinguish between you not liking something and it being impossible for anyone to like it.

Edited by - SixFourian on 06/06/2007 14:12:25
Go to Top of Page

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 06/06/2007 :  14:09:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thefoxboy

I would like to be able to turn off the accolades to do list.

Yes, I would too - just for neatness. And this would enable anyone to avoid a bizarre paranoia about being mocked.
Go to Top of Page

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 06/06/2007 :  14:11:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

With respect, some accolades are constructed in sneering hope that they will NEVER be completed.

There is absolutely no basis for stating this at all. Once again, this is confusing people not caring whether anyone completes an accolade with their actually not wanting anyone to.

Edited by - SixFourian on 06/06/2007 14:41:38
Go to Top of Page

ChocolateLady 
"500 Chocolate Delights"

Israel

Posted - 06/06/2007 :  15:25:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

With respect, some accolades are constructed in sneering hope that they will NEVER be completed.

There is absolutely no basis for stating this at all. Once again, this is confusing people not caring whether anyone completes an accolade with their actually not wanting anyone to.

I'm not sure Randall isn't partially correct. While I'm sure no one went out of their way to make an accolade they hoped no one would achieve, I'm sure some accolades are made where the author is thinking "go ahead, I dare you!". For instance, that SNL accolade is actually titled "almost unattainable" (or something like that).
Go to Top of Page

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 06/06/2007 :  15:56:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChocolateLady

quote:

quote:

I'm not sure Randall isn't partially correct. While I'm sure no one went out of their way to make an accolade they hoped no one would achieve, I'm sure some accolades are made where the author is thinking "go ahead, I dare you!". For instance, that SNL accolade is actually titled "almost unattainable" (or something like that).

Yeah, but that's a completely different kettle of fish to the "sneering hope that they will NEVER be completed". The accolade you mention has been completed, and a long time ago at that, and I am sure shoon expected that it would be eventually.

Edited by - SixFourian on 06/06/2007 15:56:25
Go to Top of Page

randall 
"I like to watch."

NYC, USA

Posted - 06/06/2007 :  23:05:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by ChocolateLady

quote:

quote:

Yeah, but that's a completely different kettle of fish to the "sneering hope that they will NEVER be completed". The accolade you mention has been completed, and a long time ago at that, and I am sure shoon expected that it would be eventually.

Not to belabor this, but how bout the one you created consisting of every film on the site? That list was already available to you by other means. And movie titles which happen to contain the consecutive letters "i-a-n", many [if not, indeed, most] of which you've never even heard of? [I'll bet you 100 sterling that this accolade wouldn't even exist without the automatic-add feature.] Sheesh. I understand that this silly accolade business is all flibbertijibbet to you, but what does something like that possibly have to do with movies? Just curious.

Edited by - randall on 07/06/2007 02:07:48
Go to Top of Page

TitanPa 
"Here four more"

United States

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  23:18:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have started to complete the picture Trophy process for my Accolades. I know Accolades hold alot more weight when a picture is used for a trophy. I am almost done.

Edited by - TitanPa on 09/06/2007 15:47:02
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000