Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

benj clews 
"...."

United Kingdom

Posted - 11/07/2010 :  22:19:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, so I owe quite a few people free copies (basically anyone who was emailed asking for their permission- email me if you need to check) of the book.

Now, the simplest plan to me would seem to be to organize a meet up for the UK-based folk (or anyone who can spontaneously jet here from overseas), ideally somewhere central London since I have to lug the books there (I might even be able to provide copies for some non-included FWFRers too). Anyone I owe a book to that's unable to make it, we'll have to figure something else out- please email me if so.

As for date, might I suggest Sunday the 29th of August or 4th/ 5th of September? It seems unfair to suggest something closer to August 18th (the book launch date) as some kind souls here have ordered the book (with real money and everything) and might want me to scribble something in it (this still sounds bizarre to me!). With any luck, 11+ days after US launch will allow them to have their copy in hand when we meet.

Does this sound like a plan? Let me know availability and any venue suggestions...

demonic 
"Cinemaniac"

United Kingdom

Posted - 11/07/2010 :  23:14:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That sounds brilliant and a great excuse for a confourence and a beer, but I'm sad to say I'll still be away working oop north till the end of September, so I'll have to miss out on this one - but I'll definitely be catching up with you when I get back.
Go to Top of Page

[matt] 
"Cinemattic."

United Kingdom

Posted - 11/07/2010 :  23:50:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Cool, I should be able to make either of those dates. Looking fourward to my first confourence.
Go to Top of Page

ChocolateLady 
"500 Chocolate Delights"

Israel

Posted - 12/07/2010 :  14:06:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I doubt I'd be able to come, but no matter - I've already pre-ordered (and paid for) my copy.

Even so, if there's any way I can get to the UK for this meet up, I would gladly join - just so I can get my copy signed!
Go to Top of Page

Rovark 
"Luck-pushing, rule-bending, chance-taking reviewer"

UK

Posted - 12/07/2010 :  20:52:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Already ordered my copy, but hey, this sounds like a great excuse to meet up with as many Fwiffers as possible, old comrades-in-arms and new. I'll try to keep that period clear. As to venue, a West end pub or the South bank?
Go to Top of Page

Chris C 
"Four words, never backwards."

Posted - 13/07/2010 :  13:11:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can't do August 29th (my birthday). The following weekend may be possible, but it's Babybear's birthday that weekend. Pick a date and if I can get there I will.
Go to Top of Page

BiggerBoat 
"Pass me the harpoon"

London, UK

Posted - 13/07/2010 :  17:44:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't do the 28th but should be okay for that next weekend. Is there a dress code?

Go to Top of Page

Beanmimo 
"August review site"

Ireland

Posted - 13/07/2010 :  19:20:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Ordered and paid for but always willing to meet you guys so I'll try once a date is set.
Go to Top of Page

Chris C 
"Four words, never backwards."

Posted - 13/07/2010 :  22:30:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BiggerBoat

I can't do the 28th but should be okay for that next weekend. Is there a dress code?

Wear a dress if you want - I'll be in jeans and t-shirt.
Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

United Kingdom

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  12:51:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right, it's sounding like 4th September is a good bet for the official UK fwfr book launch party. Everyone cool with this? Also, anyone not chimed in yet is still welcome to attend regardless of book involvement.

Venue still to be decided- any suggestions? Central London or South Bank?
Go to Top of Page

TitanPa 
"Here four more"

United States

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  14:10:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Would love to, but I am in economic hardship this year. Sorry. Would love a get together in the future.
Go to Top of Page

Beanmimo 
"August review site"

Ireland

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  17:03:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Will do my best, just finalise the venue!!
Go to Top of Page

BiggerBoat 
"Pass me the harpoon"

London, UK

Posted - 10/08/2010 :  10:20:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds good to me. Is there a fim-themed bar we could go to? Apart from Planet Hollywood?
Go to Top of Page

BaftaBaby 
"Always entranced by cinema."

Posted - 10/08/2010 :  10:50:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If my health REALLY improves, I will endeavor to be there. Otherwise, I'll be with you in spirit, if not in spirits.

Have great fwfr fun!

Go to Top of Page

ChocolateLady 
"500 Chocolate Delights"

Israel

Posted - 10/08/2010 :  10:58:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would just LOVE to attend. Won't say no just yet, but... you never know! I might be able to swing it.

Don't count me out, but I can't promise I'll be able to make it.
Go to Top of Page

BaftaBaby 
"Always entranced by cinema."

Posted - 10/08/2010 :  11:37:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BiggerBoat

Sounds good to me. Is there a fim-themed bar we could go to? Apart from Planet Hollywood?

I know I prob'ly won't be there, but have y'all considered the cafe at the National Film Theatre? Quite central. Also, if you have a word with the manager, you might get some kind of deal. When I was a critic based in London, we used to be invited to many film-related do's there. Then they moored a press boat - dunno if that's still there. Anyway, worth a try I think.

There's also the bar/restaurant at BAFTA on Piccadilly. The latter is quite pricey, and though I'm a lifetime member, I've really lost touch with all the new peeps who run the place. Info on the website, though.

A much cheaper alternative is The Star Cafe. All us crits used to meet up there for lunch in between a packed day of screenings. Great unpretentious atmos & grub.

HelpfulBabe!

Edited by - BaftaBaby on 10/08/2010 11:38:40
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000