Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Yukon 
"Co-editor of FWFR book"

Kingston, Canada

Posted - 15/10/2010 :  21:10:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello all you Canadian fwiffers. Just so you know I'm hoping to have the final plans for a Toronto book launch party.

I'm looking at making the trip and having the party at a bar on Saturday, Nov. 6, starting at 8 p.m.

The exact location is to be determined (I'm trying to find a spot on the Ryerson campus because it's my old school and located downtown.)

It's generally going to be a low-key party -- I'm basically looking fora bar downtown that doesn't have live music. I just want to inv ite about 30 or 40 people. If anybody has a friend who runs a bar in downtown Toronto and would be interested in hosting, let me know.

We'll be selling copies of the book for only $10 and of course all fwiffers who contributed to the book can come an pick up their free copy. It's an open party so feel free to invite all your friends.

So mark your calendars -- SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 6 AT 8 P.M. UNTIL ????.
I should know a location by Tuesday and will let everyone know ASAP.

AC 
"Returning FWFR Old-Timer"

Canada

Posted - 16/10/2010 :  14:45:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds good Yukon, I'll definitely plan to be there.

In terms of bars, the Elephant and Castle at Yonge and Gerrard has an upstairs section for functions and it's on Rye High's campus; The Wolf and Firkin on Elm is pretty good but small; Mick E. Fynn's is across the road from Maple Leaf Gardens on Carlton; then there's dozens of places in the gay village on Church, but that might not be the best location on a busy Saturday night. My local, the Blake House (Jarvis and Wellesley) is a great spot, newly renovated and classy. Might be a bit small though. There's also the places in the new big complex on the corner of Dundas and Yonge, like Milestones and Jack Astor's. Busy places though. Hard Rock Cafe? There's a Duke pub down at the south end of the Eaton Centre too.

I'll keep thinking, but Ryerson pubs are a little thin on the ground! Also, I don't have any connections to these places I've mentioned. Just thought I would make some kind of list.
Go to Top of Page

RockGolf 
"1500+ reviews. 1 joke."

Canada

Posted - 20/10/2010 :  16:13:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm looking forward to this! Keep in mind, downtown Toronto on a Saturday night is probably going to be busy. Especially with how the Leafs have been doing this year.
Go to Top of Page

Yukon 
"Co-editor of FWFR book"

Kingston, Canada

Posted - 22/10/2010 :  04:04:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's official.

The Toronto book launch party will take place Saturday, Nov. 6 starting at 8 p.m. and running until ???? (hopefully late).
It's at the Ram in the Rye, the campus pub in the Ryerson Student Cetnre, located at 55 Gould Street (corner of Church and Gould.) It's about a three-minute walk from the Dundas-Yonge street intersection. I've booked the VIP room.

Any fwiffer who attends will get a free copy of the book. For all other folks, the book will be available for only $10.
It's an open party in a bar with lots of room, so feel free to invite your friends.
Go to Top of Page

lemmycaution 
"Long mired in film"

Canada

Posted - 24/10/2010 :  22:34:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great Mike. I'll be there.
Go to Top of Page

AC 

Canada

Posted - 25/10/2010 :  01:08:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll be there, and I look forward to it. I am curious as to what a book launch looks like when the book's been out for three months! Regardless, it will be nice to see some familiar faces and to meet some new ones. Looking forward to a pint, lemmy!
Go to Top of Page

RockGolf 
"1500+ reviews. 1 joke."

Canada

Posted - 02/11/2010 :  16:30:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are perhaps two Saturday nights per year I am usually booked. This was one, as my daughter is in her high school play, which is a big thing in a school of the arts.

I was supposed to be at the dinner & play on Saturday, but I'll see the play on Friday, then catch the dinner Saturday and join you guys about 9 pm.
Go to Top of Page

AC 

Canada

Posted - 06/11/2010 :  00:47:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm looking forward to the event tomorrow, but I don't have a heck of a lot of time, so I'm going to be there right at eight, and have to be home to be on Cormac duty from 9.30 so my wife can get out to a party of her own for a bit. So, I'm hoping that lemmy and Yukon will be there from 8 so I get a chance to have a beer with them, and I'll catch RG as he's arriving and I'm leaving, it looks like.

See you there.
Go to Top of Page

BaftaBaby 
"Always entranced by cinema."

Posted - 06/11/2010 :  01:32:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All the very best to you partying Canucks!

Go to Top of Page

randall 
"I like to watch."

NYC, USA

Posted - 06/11/2010 :  02:43:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All: have fun launching!
Go to Top of Page

lemmycaution 
"Long mired in film"

Canada

Posted - 06/11/2010 :  05:29:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mrs. lemmy and I and our son Chris will be there as close to 8:00 as possible. My daughter and her intended will be attending a little later. Hope we all can see AC before he has to leave. Mrs. lemmy is the DD so I won't be in any hurry to leave (until she makes me an offer I can't refuse).
Go to Top of Page

Yukon 
"Co-editor of FWFR book"

Kingston, Canada

Posted - 06/11/2010 :  13:09:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll be there hopefully a little early (7:45 to set a few things up).

See you all tonight! It's my first fwiffer conference -- hooray!
Go to Top of Page

Josh the cat 
"ice wouldn't melt, you'd think ....."

East Yorkshire, England.

Posted - 06/11/2010 :  18:18:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hope tonight goes well, and you manage to seel a whole pile of books

Josh the cat
Go to Top of Page

AC 

Canada

Posted - 07/11/2010 :  02:35:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had to leave the party early to come home to my teething boy, but I am delighted to say that it was a ripping success! It was a very successful book launch, with Yukon playing the dutiful host to an avid group of guests, including FWFR'ers lemmycaution, RoCat, RockGolf and myself. A flurry of signing occurred, and lots of 'shop talk' as we watched the Maple Leafs squander yet another lead.

There is photographic evidence of the event, with the hockey game on in the background to make it a truly Canadian gathering!

http://tinyurl.com/FWFRToronto

Good show, Yukon!
Go to Top of Page

randall 
"I like to watch."

NYC, USA

Posted - 07/11/2010 :  15:57:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looked like fun: cheers, everyone!

P.S.: Sensei, I'm not sure I could have beheld your presence in that brilliant T-shirt and still remained sentient, so I guess I'm glad I wasn't there. You continue to state fashion; I sent my old dojo robes to Eaves of New York for use in high school dramae.

Edited by - randall on 07/11/2010 21:49:09
Go to Top of Page

Yukon 
"Co-editor of FWFR book"

Kingston, Canada

Posted - 08/11/2010 :  04:11:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was my first FWFR conference. My only regret was I didn't get to spend that much time talking to Tobey who had to leave early.

I was there until 12:45 a.m., which is extremely late for a guy who has three very young children.

It was great to meet AC, Lemmy, Rock Golf and Rocat and get them to all sign my book.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000