Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 05/01/2011 :  14:44:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any suggestions for films with only one/two/three actors? At the moment I'm interpreting this quite loosely (and indeed contradictorily), i.e. where these parts are overwhelmingly bigger than any others, but I'd rather just have films where there are literally only one/two/three characters seen. It doesn't count where people are listed as Himself/Herself/Narrator/Presenter &c. or where one actor plays multiple parts.

Cheese_Ed 
"The Provolone Ranger"

Guernsey

Posted - 05/01/2011 :  17:44:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I think of few actors, this is what comes to mind - not sure if they meet the criteria though.

My Dinner with Andre
Before Sunrise
Before Sunset
Duel

also
Meshes of The Afternoon
Monster in a Box
Swimming to Cambodia
Blow Job
The Life of Reilly (2006)
Mark Twain Tonight

Go to Top of Page

Chris C 
"Four words, never backwards."

Posted - 05/01/2011 :  17:50:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Moon

Silent Running

Go to Top of Page

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 05/01/2011 :  23:14:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the suggestions. Haven't had time to check them out yet but will do so tomorrow. (A couple of them I know though are one-man stand-up shows by comics as themselves, so I'll have to pass on them; but thanks for them all.)
Go to Top of Page

bife 
"Winners never quit ... fwfr ... "

Singapore

Posted - 05/01/2011 :  23:46:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
how about tom hanks in castaway? There are plenty other actors at beginning and end but if i remember right 90% of the film is just him
Go to Top of Page

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 05/01/2011 :  23:50:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep, good one. Unless I get enough films to be strict, I'll definitely include that. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

ci�nas 
"hands down"

Brizzle

Posted - 06/01/2011 :  00:48:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A lot of films adapted from plays could qualify, I imagine. (Certainly lots of Beckett & some of Pinter.)

The Disappearance of Alice Creed: 3 in all.

London River (which I've just finished watching): 2 mainly.

There must be dozens of shorts that fit the bill, unless you decide to exclude non-feature-length films.

Go to Top of Page

TitanPa 
"Here four more"

United States

Posted - 06/01/2011 :  01:44:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Home Alone - 3 I believe
Blair Witch Project - 3
Thelma & Louise - 3?

Go to Top of Page

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 06/01/2011 :  15:59:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lamhasuas

The Disappearance of Alice Creed: 3 in all.

Yes, I've just added that in fact. It was the film that inspired these accolades, after I reread my comment here for this, but then I forgot to include it!
quote:
There must be dozens of shorts that fit the bill, unless you decide to exclude non-feature-length films.

Yes, I think I will exclude those, as there would be too many.

Thanks also to TitanPa and you for the other suggestions: I'll go through them all later on.
Go to Top of Page

demonic 
"Cinemaniac"

United Kingdom

Posted - 06/01/2011 :  16:31:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tape (3)

Old Joy (basically 2)

Death and the Maiden (3)

9 Songs (2)

The Wild Blue Yonder (1)

Antichrist (2)

Sleuth (2 - both versions)
Go to Top of Page

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 06/01/2011 :  21:01:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cheese_Ed

Duel

How many would you count this as? I haven't seen it for a long time.
Go to Top of Page

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 06/01/2011 :  21:32:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lamhasuas

A lot of films adapted from plays could qualify, I imagine. (Certainly lots of Beckett & some of Pinter.)

A lot of the Beckett ones are too short; I was going to create another accolade for them instead, and then I saw that you already had.
Go to Top of Page

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 06/01/2011 :  21:49:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the suggestions. If you have time, please take another look at the links to see whether you think I have been consistent, although I am still undecided about Moon and The Road. In particular, as you were so specific demonic, I just trusted all of yours, so let me know if any should be changed.

It's hard to really define the parameters of these accolades. I did originally want to be strict, but I just don't want to exclude things like Two Girls and a Guy, which in my head is exactly what these accolades are about, so for example The Blair Witch Project simply fits for me, but Home Alone doesn't.

Maybe we'll say something like there should be significant chunks of time where only one/two/three actors are seen, but even that has complications...
Go to Top of Page

demonic 
"Cinemaniac"

United Kingdom

Posted - 06/01/2011 :  22:16:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think mine are all right or at least very good for your parameters. Also the film of Pinter's Betrayal- that's another three hander. Moon is tricky, arguably one or two- Spacey does provide the voice of Gertie, who is a main character, but never appeared on set or even read opposite Rockwell, it was all post recorded. I'd say the Road probably doesn't fit with the others as practically every other scene involves interaction with a string of cameos.
Go to Top of Page

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 06/01/2011 :  23:32:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by demonic

I think mine are all right or at least very good for your parameters. Also the film of Pinter's Betrayal- that's another three hander. Moon is tricky, arguably one or two- Spacey does provide the voice of Gertie, who is a main character, but never appeared on set or even read opposite Rockwell, it was all post recorded. I'd say the Road probably doesn't fit with the others as practically every other scene involves interaction with a string of cameos.

Yes, you're probably right about The Road. Moon is more complicated than that, though (spoilers): Gertie is one problem, because if I count him (which I would lean towards) then I should count all the voices in Buried (which I don't want to); but the bigger issue is the Rockwell clones, since I don't want to count things where just one actor plays loads of parts, but then in Moon they are only semi-different parts...

Go to Top of Page

demonic 
"Cinemaniac"

United Kingdom

Posted - 07/01/2011 :  01:33:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You could argue the voices in Buried don't appear frequently enough to be considered supporting characters... it really is a one man show. Different for Gertie as "he's" a central character than appears from start to finish. I know what you mean about the clones, but again there can't be any other films that have the same problem. Other similar films have plenty of other characters involved as well - Dead Ringers and Adaptation as two examples.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000