United Kingdom

Posted - 30/03/2012 :  04:32:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agreed on both points!
Go to Top of Page

TitanPa 
"Here four more"

United States

Posted - 31/03/2012 :  04:32:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well at least the annoying "I hate the new site" remarks have died down.

Just hope the movie and review numbers come back
Go to Top of Page

lemmycaution 
"Long mired in film"

Canada

Posted - 03/04/2012 :  20:05:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, benj

Another little anomaly relating to the #1 green rosettes. I have noticed several that are placed on reviews which in fact do not have the most votes.

Here is an example:

http://www.fwfr.com/film/?FID=10615

I'll add links for others as I find them.

Go to Top of Page

demonic 
"Cinemaniac"

United Kingdom

Posted - 04/04/2012 :  14:59:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've seen loads and loads of examples of this - I'm assuming the clever algorithmy thing that makes it work it's properly in place yet. Would be interested to know if reviews sharing the top vote will both have the green rosette - hope so.
Go to Top of Page

lemmycaution 
"Long mired in film"

Canada

Posted - 04/04/2012 :  16:32:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another little glitch, benj, of which you might already be aware. The 'Date Completed' feature for each accolade is quite unreliable.

Here is an example:

http://www.fwfr.com/accolades/accolade/?ACID=1535

I know that I was the first to complete this one despite what it says.

In fact there are many accolades that I completed months or years ago which show the date of completion as late March of this year.

I know that this may not be high on your priority list but it is FYI.
Go to Top of Page

TitanPa 
"Here four more"

United States

Posted - 11/04/2012 :  17:02:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanx for the re-addition of review and film numbers Benj!
Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

United Kingdom

Posted - 11/04/2012 :  17:08:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TitanPA

Thanx for the re-addition of review and film numbers Benj!

You're welcome- I added them back in a couple of weeks back but they weren't quite as visible as they are now.
Go to Top of Page

demonic 
"Cinemaniac"

United Kingdom

Posted - 12/04/2012 :  15:09:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A few comments on some of your most recent alterations Benj - personally I preferred the MyFWFR page when the information filled the long bar with text rather than being the clump of icons on the right hand side as it is now. It looked more stylish before, but I expect that was something you employed to make the screen look less cluttered - I think the opposite has happened - it's made that part of the screen look empty and a bit basic.

Also - I like the new purple bar for the For Your Consideration and that it fills across the screen rather than overlapping the five reviews onto two lines. There's a small issue though that the text for the films in question have become difficult to read with blue on purple. Is there a way to make the contrast greater and the text clearer?
Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

United Kingdom

Posted - 12/04/2012 :  16:01:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by demonic

A few comments on some of your most recent alterations Benj - personally I preferred the MyFWFR page when the information filled the long bar with text rather than being the clump of icons on the right hand side as it is now. It looked more stylish before, but I expect that was something you employed to make the screen look less cluttered - I think the opposite has happened - it's made that part of the screen look empty and a bit basic.

Also - I like the new purple bar for the For Your Consideration and that it fills across the screen rather than overlapping the five reviews onto two lines. There's a small issue though that the text for the films in question have become difficult to read with blue on purple. Is there a way to make the contrast greater and the text clearer?

The FYC box is still a work in progress (as is the site as a whole). I've made some visibility changes to it already and plan to upload them tonight.

Unfortunately, it's precisely because of the FYC box that I changed the long bar of text to icons. If you look- the FYC heading now sits where the text links were previously. I looked at having a separate line below the text links for the FYC heading but it quickly became apparent that the page was getting a bit text-in-horizontal-box-mental, hence why I decided to switch to the icons.

I can see how that part of the page will now look empty on other pages (specifically in myfwfr) but the way I see it, that just leaves room for anything else prominent to be added (if it makes sense to do so) or to use it in the same way I do on film pages- as extra information about the thing in question, e.g. average votes on the reviews page.

Is there any other reason you're not liking the switch to icons other than the current sparseness? I'm aware the icons make it less immediately obvious how many of anything you have (although no worse than the old site's myfwfr) for example, so anything like this would be handy to hear.
Go to Top of Page

ChocolateLady 
"500 Chocolate Delights"

Israel

Posted - 13/04/2012 :  13:55:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually... come to think of it...

Is there any way you can make the film titles a bit smaller or more viewable? I find that many of the longer film titles are cut off when you're just looking at them. I know you can put your cursor on them to expand the name, but if the font was a bit smaller you might have to do that less often.

Just a thought...
Go to Top of Page

demonic 
"Cinemaniac"

United Kingdom

Posted - 14/04/2012 :  03:14:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by benj clews

The FYC box is still a work in progress (as is the site as a whole). I've made some visibility changes to it already and plan to upload them tonight.

Yes, that's better already - much easier to read, thank you. Although I prefer the colour in general now the background box is also a fetching shade of blue it was still clearer to read when the mouse hover turned the box to the same background colour as the rest of the page. This is going to be something that changes a bit as you play, so I'll be interested to see how it develops.

quote:
Unfortunately, it's precisely because of the FYC box that I changed the long bar of text to icons. If you look- the FYC heading now sits where the text links were previously. I looked at having a separate line below the text links for the FYC heading but it quickly became apparent that the page was getting a bit text-in-horizontal-box-mental, hence why I decided to switch to the icons.

I can see how that part of the page will now look empty on other pages (specifically in myfwfr) but the way I see it, that just leaves room for anything else prominent to be added (if it makes sense to do so) or to use it in the same way I do on film pages- as extra information about the thing in question, e.g. average votes on the reviews page.

I see, that makes sense, although our own FYC reviews are still on two lines aren't they?
I have to say the icons look better now you've added the vertical lines between them - small detail, but I like it. I think my initial dislike was also coming from the fact that the screen was leaning to the right what with the icon clump and also the empty space to the left of the page. But it's fine actually.
Something that would be quite useful (potentially an icon?) would be a way to access our own FYC page from MyFWFR. By that I mean the page we link other users to in the Fourum. It seems a little silly asking for this given it's an address that always stays the same, but every time I FYC I either have to go to a previous round and copy/paste the link, or go into the Ranking page, scroll to my name and copy the link from there. Even if it's not an icon... maybe employing the same method as the single review isolation you've put in - if we could hold down the mouse on our Ranking icon for example to get a drop down link we could copy - that would be marvellous.
Go to Top of Page

Sean 
"Necrosphenisciform anthropophagist."

New Zealand

Posted - 14/04/2012 :  08:00:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the icon thing. It's pretty obvious what they do, and the essential information as a pop-up is also fine in my view.

One issue (that demonic mentioned)... on someone's 'Reviews' page their FYC are in one line, which is fine, but on MyFwfr page they're split into two lines (four and one). This could do with fixing. One solution would be to ..... shock horror.... reduce FYC to FOUR reviews. Yep, you heard it from me! Reduce FYC to FOUR reviews!!!11!!1!!! Unless of course the FOUR WORD FILM REVIEW must have FIVE reviews in FYC lists...

Another thing... also on user review pages. FYC stretches from left to right and fills the gaps and is five reviews wide but the reviews themselves don't fill the gaps; there's a 'dead box' under where it says "REVIEWS 3498: All this reviewer's reviews" and the reviews stretch only four reviews wide. Could this be changed so they fill left to the edge of the page and get five per line? It just looks a bit 'out of balance' at the moment and would get more on the screen.
Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

United Kingdom

Posted - 14/04/2012 :  20:21:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lemmycaution

Another little glitch, benj, of which you might already be aware. The 'Date Completed' feature for each accolade is quite unreliable.

Here is an example:

In fact there are many accolades that I completed months or years ago which show the date of completion as late March of this year.

Cheers for letting me know. Made a few adjustments which I hope have corrected this. Let me know if not.
Go to Top of Page

lemmycaution 
"Long mired in film"

Canada

Posted - 14/04/2012 :  20:52:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by benj clews

quote:
Originally posted by lemmycaution

Here is an example:

Cheers for letting me know. Made a few adjustments which I hope have corrected this. Let me know if not.

Looks fine, benj.

Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Koli 
"Striving lackadaisically for perfection."

United Kingdom

Posted - 15/04/2012 :  09:13:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is there a plan to put together some new FAQs for the new site?

Anyone who is new to the site or who, like me, has been away for a while, is likely to struggle to do even simple things, and few will have the patience to go through the many pages in this thread to find the answers to all their questions.

For example, I can't see a way to change my For Your Consideration list or my avatar.

I've had a look at the FAQs but they don't appear to have been updated recently.

I suspect that unless this happens the number of users will decline because new people will be deterred and some existing users are clearly alienated.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 24 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000