Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 28/01/2011 :  23:32:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any suggestions for films in which a supporting character from another film is now the leading one? I would particularly like ones from films with more major characters, but for now I'll also include spin-offs which focus on one member of an ensemble cast. It would be better if the latter film wasn't planned at the time of making the former one, but for now I also won't exclude any on that basis. I'm only after full-length cinema-released films as there are lots of shorts and videos in this category. I probably only want ones where the character is played by the same person, but let me know if there are good exceptions and I may be persuaded. I definitely only want ones where the character was invented or significantly developed for the former film, e.g. not Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead or Wide Sargasso Sea.

So far, I can think of these.

Edited by - SixFourian on 29/01/2011 09:37:33

benj clews 
"...."

United Kingdom

Posted - 28/01/2011 :  23:52:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure Wolverine can be classed as a supporting character. Or if he was, then every other character was also a supporting character. He was basically the only stand-out character in the first X-Men film.
Go to Top of Page

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 29/01/2011 :  00:02:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by benj clews

I'm not sure Wolverine can be classed as a supporting character. Or if he was, then every other character was also a supporting character. He was basically the only stand-out character in the first X-Men film.

As I said, I'm for now including cases where the first film has an ensemble of characters, and I'd separated his film into a separate list (currently of one).

Edited by - SixFourian on 29/01/2011 00:07:27
Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

United Kingdom

Posted - 29/01/2011 :  00:02:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Van Wilder 2: The Rise of Taj

Oh, and if flashbacks of the lead character can be ignored then Saw V should fit this.
Go to Top of Page

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 29/01/2011 :  00:06:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, the former leading character can appear even in non-flashbacks, so long as the former supporting one is the/a lead now. (Not sure whether I'd count any cases where a former lead and former support are now joint leads.)
Go to Top of Page

GHcool 
"Forever a curious character."

Los Angeles, CA, USA

Posted - 29/01/2011 :  01:37:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back
Electra
Go to Top of Page

AC 
"Returning FWFR Old-Timer"

Canada

Posted - 29/01/2011 :  01:53:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very sad to say, it has recently been confirmed that there will be a spin-off movie all about Les Grossman, the Tom Cruise-in-a-fat-suit character from Tropic Thunder. It's here on FWFR as 'Untitled Les Grossman Project', but Ben Stiller has confirmed it will happen.
Go to Top of Page

AC 
"Returning FWFR Old-Timer"

Canada

Posted - 29/01/2011 :  03:24:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also the late, barely related to the original versions of American Pie, like 'Band Camp' and 'Naked Mile' revolve around Stifler's little brother, who appears in the first film on.
Go to Top of Page

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 29/01/2011 :  07:28:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all of those. Happily, Band Camp is excluded as it's a video, although American Pie 4 may qualify. I'll include all the others for now, but if I get enough then I'll think about removing the particularly horrendous Les Grossman example.

Edited by - SixFourian on 29/01/2011 08:45:56
Go to Top of Page

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 29/01/2011 :  08:09:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you think I should include just the new films or also the original ones? If the latter, should it be the first film in the series or the last one in which they are a minor character?
Go to Top of Page

Chris C 
"Four words, never backwards."

Posted - 29/01/2011 :  15:32:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bartok in Anastasia & Bartok the Magnificent

Edited by - Chris C on 29/01/2011 15:33:22
Go to Top of Page

lemmycaution 
"Long mired in film"

Canada

Posted - 29/01/2011 :  16:19:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Crook's Tour starred Basil Radford and Naunton Wayne, the scene-stealing twits from Hitchcock's The Lady Vanishes.

Don't know if this fits your criteria but the "Kids" from Dead End were featured in a few other Warners films and eventually starred in a number of low-budget features most prominently as The Bowery Boys.

Supporting characters Ma & Pa Kettle in The Egg and I went on to star in their own series.

Edited by - lemmycaution on 29/01/2011 17:07:01
Go to Top of Page

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 30/01/2011 :  11:24:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chris C

Bartok in Anastasia & Bartok the Magnificent

I didn't know of that one in particular, but it's the kind of thing that I was imagining when I decided to leave videos out, as companies like Disney just churn out whatever spin-offs they can get away with. Thanks though.

Edited by - SixFourian on 30/01/2011 11:29:51
Go to Top of Page

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 30/01/2011 :  11:48:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lemmycaution

Crook's Tour starred Basil Radford and Naunton Wayne, the scene-stealing twits from Hitchcock's The Lady Vanishes.

Don't know if this fits your criteria but the "Kids" from Dead End were featured in a few other Warners films and eventually starred in a number of low-budget features most prominently as The Bowery Boys.

Supporting characters Ma & Pa Kettle in The Egg and I went on to star in their own series.

Thanks, especially for reminding me about Charters and Caldicott. As soon as I saw Hitchcock in your post, they sprang to mind. However, should I list that film or Night Train to Munich? They are not top-listed in the latter but descriptions seem to focus on them.

I'd never heard of them before, but the Bowery Boys seem to have different names in Dead End, so that doesn't count even if they are esssentially the same; however, let me know if they go from supporting to starring with the same names in other films.

Edited by - SixFourian on 30/01/2011 11:49:52
Go to Top of Page

el guapo 

Seoul, South Korea

Posted - 07/02/2011 :  16:14:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What about:
The Ewok Adventure (1984)
If memory serves me right, Dead End (1938) starred the Dead End Kids who went on to make:
Angels with Dirty Faces ( 1939)
On Dress Parade (1939)
Give us Wings (1940)
They starred in more but this is just a few.
Machete (2010) must surely count as a film made from a film
Chronicles of Riddick (2004)

Go to Top of Page

el guapo 

Seoul, South Korea

Posted - 07/02/2011 :  16:35:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
+1
Rooster Cogburn (1975) from True Grit

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic